The political landscape is constantly evolving, with new developments and controversies arising every day. In recent news, there have been various reports and statements regarding Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and his potential bid for the presidency in 2024. While DeSantis has been touted as a formidable rival to former President Donald Trump, recent polls and comments from political insiders suggest that his campaign may be facing some challenges.
It all began with remarks made by DeSantis in an interview with the conservative website The Florida Standard. He expressed concerns about the durability of a political movement that is solely focused on following whatever is posted on Truth Social, a website founded by Trump. DeSantis emphasized the importance of being rooted in principles and not relying solely on the personality of one individual. These comments were seen by some as a direct criticism of Trump and his supporters.
Following the interview, several individuals, including Florida State Senator Joe Gruters and Representative Byron Donalds, spoke out about their reservations regarding DeSantis’ campaign. Gruters, who had previously served as chairman of Florida’s GOP, stated that he had expected the downfall of DeSantis’ campaign due to his treatment of others and lack of engagement with the public. Donalds echoed these sentiments, emphasizing the importance of charisma and the ability to connect with people in presidential politics.
These criticisms were further amplified by spokespersons for Trump and his organization. Karoline Leavitt, a spokeswoman for Make America Great Again Inc., called on DeSantis to apologize for his “disgraceful insult” towards Trump supporters. The tension between DeSantis and Trump supporters is not new, as DeSantis has previously faced backlash from Trump loyalists for not being vocal enough in his support of the former president.
In addition to the criticisms from political insiders and Trump supporters, DeSantis has also faced challenges in the polls. Recent surveys show him dropping into single digits and third place in New Hampshire, behind Chris Christie. His national polling average has also seen a decline, dropping from 30.1 percent at the end of March to 14.8 percent currently. While he remains Trump’s closest primary challenger, he trails by nearly 40 points.
The decline in DeSantis’ popularity has been attributed to his interpersonal skills and approach to negotiations. Insiders have described him as aloof and unwilling to engage with others, including members of his own Cabinet and leading Republicans. Some have also criticized his reluctance to connect with donors and supporters, as well as his avoidance of customary political niceties.
As the 2024 presidential race continues to take shape, it remains to be seen how these developments will impact DeSantis’ campaign. While he still has time to turn things around and regain momentum, it is clear that he is currently facing significant challenges. The political landscape is constantly evolving, and only time will tell how these dynamics will ultimately play out.
0. “DeSantis calls Trump supporters ‘listless vessels,’ drawing rebuke” Yahoo News, 19 Aug. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/desantis-calls-trump-supporters-listless-212000245.html
1. “DeSantis Headed For ‘Downfall’ That GOP Insiders Saw Coming” UPROXX, 14 Aug. 2023, https://uproxx.com/viral/ron-desantis-campaign-over-gop-insiders-strategist-not-surprised/
2. “DeSantis’ ‘listless vessels’ remark causes MAGA world to lash out – POLITICO” POLITICO, 19 Aug. 2023, https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/19/desantis-trump-listless-vessels-00111971
3. “Ron DeSantis Is Turning Into Scott Walker, Fast” New York Magazine, 16 Aug. 2023, https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2023/08/ron-desantis-is-turning-into-scott-walker-fast.html
4. “How Ron DeSantis’ campaign style has changed after early stumbles” Everett Post, 16 Aug. 2023, https://www.everettpost.com/blog/how-ron-desantis-campaign-style-has-changed-after-early-stumbles