In the world of American politics, the race for the presidency is often a heated and intense battle. Candidates from both major parties are constantly vying for the support of voters and donors, and the competition can be fierce. Such is the case in the Republican primary race for the 2024 presidential election.
One candidate who has been gaining momentum in recent polls is Vivek Ramaswamy, a 38-year-old Harvard-educated businessman. Ramaswamy, who is seen as a rising star in the Republican Party, has been making waves with his strong debate performances and bold policy proposals. As a result, he has become a target of attacks from his rivals and the political establishment.
According to leaked audio obtained by news organizations, the super PAC supporting Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, called Never Back Down, has been actively spreading negative information about Ramaswamy. In a private meeting with donors, the chief strategist for the super PAC, Jeff Roe, admitted to disseminating opposition stories about Ramaswamy. He claimed that every misstatement or mistake made by Ramaswamy was a result of the scrutiny and pressure from their campaign.
The leaked audio also revealed that Never Back Down was in desperate need of funds. The super PAC pleaded with wealthy donors to contribute $50 million by the end of the year, and an additional $100 million by the end of March 2024. The campaign’s CEO, Chris Jankowski, made the plea to donors, stating that they needed the funds to further their strategy for the upcoming Iowa caucuses.
Despite the attacks and the financial struggles of Never Back Down, Ramaswamy remains undeterred. Polls have shown him gaining ground in the Republican primary, and he is seen as a serious contender to DeSantis and former President Donald Trump. Ramaswamy’s strong debate performances have resonated with voters, and his policy proposals have struck a chord with conservatives.
In response to the attacks from Never Back Down, Ramaswamy’s campaign has remained steadfast. A spokesperson for the campaign stated that when the bipartisan establishment and major media outlets are all going after a candidate, it is a sign that they are hitting the mark. They also pointed out that Ramaswamy’s strong debate performances have only fueled Never Back Down’s desperation to spend millions of dollars in an attempt to discredit him.
The leaked audio and the subsequent revelations have shed light on the inner workings of political campaigns and the lengths some are willing to go to gain an advantage. The fact that strategists openly admitted to spreading negative information about a rival candidate is a rarity in the world of politics. It shows the high stakes and intense competition that candidates face as they vie for the presidency.
As the Republican primary race continues to unfold, it remains to be seen how these revelations will impact the campaigns of Ramaswamy, DeSantis, and Trump. The leaked audio has brought attention to the tactics employed by Never Back Down and has sparked a debate about the role of super PACs in elections. It has also highlighted the strength and resilience of Ramaswamy, who remains focused on his goal of winning the Republican nomination and ultimately the presidency.
0. “DeSantis’ super PAC chief: We’re spreading dirt on Ramaswamy – POLITICO” POLITICO, 3 Sep. 2023, https://www.politico.com/news/2023/09/03/desantis-super-pac-ramaswamy-00113836
1. “Ron DeSantis’ Super PAC Chief Admits To Spreading Negative Intel On Rival Vivek Ramaswamy: ‘Everything Yo” Benzinga, 4 Sep. 2023, https://www.benzinga.com/news/23/09/34199266/ron-desantis-super-pac-chief-admits-to-spreading-negative-intel-on-rival-vivek-ramaswamy-everything
2. “Ron DeSantis Super PAC Is Hurting His Campaign” Newsweek, 1 Sep. 2023, https://www.newsweek.com/ron-desantis-super-pac-never-back-down-2024-campaign-1824001
3. “DeSantis super PAC pleaded for $50 million from wealthy donors on day of first GOP debate – and pushed for cam” Daily Mail, 1 Sep. 2023, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12468717/DeSantis-super-PAC-pleaded-50-million-wealthy-donors-day-GOP-debate-pushed-campaign-lean-warm-humble-wife-Casey-make-Ron-likeable-leaked-audio-shows.html
4. “DeSantis Group Urges Donors for $50 Million in Sign of Cash Crunch” Yahoo News, 1 Sep. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/desantis-group-urges-donors-50-164226080.html
5. “DeSantis group prepares $25 million ad buy in Iowa and New Hampshire” The Washington Post, 25 Aug. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/08/25/desantis-ads-iowa-new-hampshire/