In the crowded Republican primary race, the competition for second place is heating up as candidates vie for the opportunity to take on front-runner Donald Trump. Once considered a strong contender, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis now finds himself in a more challenging position. His star has begun to fade, with lackluster performances in debates and polling numbers that are comparable to other non-Trump contenders.
Despite these setbacks, DeSantis’s campaign manager, James Uthmeier, penned a letter asserting that DeSantis is the only candidate capable of defeating both Joe Biden and Donald Trump. The letter also claims that their campaign is the only one built for the long haul in terms of resources and organization.
However, recent polls suggest otherwise. A CNN/University of New Hampshire poll found a close contest for second place between entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy, former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, and DeSantis. This indicates that DeSantis is no longer the clear frontrunner for the position to challenge Trump.
The memo from DeSantis’s campaign acknowledges the rising popularity of his GOP rivals but insists that the “fundamentals” of the primary race have not changed since the last debate. This suggests that the campaign is holding onto the belief that DeSantis can regain his momentum and secure a strong position in the race.
However, the reality is that DeSantis consistently trails Trump by a significant margin in national and state-level polling. Other GOP rivals have surpassed him in the rankings, further complicating his chances of securing the second-place position.
Despite these challenges, DeSantis’s campaign is focusing on key early primary states like Iowa and New Hampshire, hoping to gain momentum and capitalize on these crucial contests. However, it remains to be seen whether this strategy will be enough to overcome his current standing in the polls.
In the midst of this primary race, Trump has already announced that he will skip the second debate, opting instead to deliver a speech in Detroit amidst the United Auto Workers strike against the Big Three automakers. This decision by Trump further underscores the shifting dynamics of the race and the diminishing relevance of DeSantis’s candidacy.
Meanwhile, other candidates in the race, such as Nikki Haley, are outlining their policy proposals to strengthen the middle class. Haley suggests cutting income taxes and condensing tax brackets to provide more money to the middle class. She also advocates for eliminating the federal gas and diesel tax and addressing tax rules that favor certain states over others. These proposals aim to support small businesses and promote economic growth.
In conclusion, the once-promising campaign of Ron DeSantis is facing significant challenges as he struggles to maintain his position in the Republican primary race. While his campaign asserts that he is the only candidate capable of defeating Biden and Trump, the reality is that he has fallen behind other contenders in the polls. As the race for second place intensifies, DeSantis must find a way to regain his momentum and prove himself as a viable challenger to Trump.
0. “As DeSantis falters, the race for second place in the GOP primary is open again” erienewsnow.com, 23 Sep. 2023, https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/49712145/as-desantis-falters-the-race-for-second-place-in-the-gop-primary-is-open-again
1. “‘His campaign is living in a fantasy land devoid of reality’: Team Trump slams DeSantis’ pre-debate memo to do” Daily Mail, 24 Sep. 2023, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12554157/Trump-slams-DeSantis-pre-debate-memo-donors.html
2. “DeSantis campaign pre-debate memo criticizes Trump, is dismissive of other rivals despite polling gap closing” CBS News, 23 Sep. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/desantis-campaign-pre-debate-memo-criticizes-trump/
3. “DeSantis trails Biden nationally as primary continues, polls show” Florida’s Voice, 22 Sep. 2023, https://flvoicenews.com/desantis-trails-biden-nationally-as-primary-continues-polls-show/
4. “DeSantis facing calls to clarify tax plan ahead of second GOP debate” Washington Examiner, 24 Sep. 2023, https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/desantis-clarify-tax-plan-second-gop-debate